Saturday, January 06, 2007

Indian Coffee Saves The Day?

An Indian chain of coffee cafes, Cafe Coffee Day, has opened its first cafe in Karachi (in Clifton). The joint Pakistani-Indian business venture is led by the Hashwanis from the Pakistani side. The Indian firm plans to open 29 other cafes throughout the country.

Whether the cafes will be successful is an open question. Pakistanis of course prefer chai to coffee. Except me - I never developed a fondness for chai, and I only have it now for social reasons. But the businessfolks must be betting that coffee has a hip image and makes you look much cooler. It's not a coincidence that the first cafe has opened in Clifton.

What this will do for Pakistan-India friendship, of course, is another matter entirely. Normally, I'm as anti-capitalist as the next activist, but when it comes to trade between these two countries, I wonder if having Indian corporate giants take over the Pakistani economy is worth attaining some kind of peace between the two countries? Yes, yes, I know - it doesn't work that way. Capitalism will only bring more violence and oppression. But let me dream for a few seconds. After all, it's kind of inevitable that Indian industry is going to kick Pakistani ass - why not get normal relations out of it?

No comments: